Dr Rani Bhat is a Women’s Cancer Specialists in Bangalore. She is the Senior Consultant & Head of the Gynecological Oncology Department of the HCG cancer hospital in Bangalore.
After completing MBBS, she obtained her Master’s Degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology (MS-OBG). She went on to specialize in gynecological oncology with a fellowship at the K. K Women’s and Children’s Hospital, in Singapore. She underwent HIPEC training form National Cancer Centre, Singapore, colposcopy training from The Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia, radical trachelectomy from l’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec, Canada, and robotic surgery fellowship from the Queen Mary Hospital of the University of Hong Kong. She also holds the prestigious Membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecology (MRCOG) from the United Kingdom, and holds Diploma in Gynaecological Operative Endoscopy from university of Faculté de Médecine, Clermont-ferrand, France
Dr. Bhat is also well known in academic circles. She has taught as associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the Oman medical college in Oman, which is affiliated to the University of West Virginia in the USA, and as assistant professor and consultant obstetrician and gynecologist at the Kasturba Medical College in Manipal, India.
Dr. Bhat has authored chapters in textbooks of obstetrics and gynecology and even contributes articles for peer-reviewed journals. She reviews articles related to obstetrics and gynaecology for the International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences and for Oman Medical Journal.
She is an active member of several associations like
Member, International Gynaecologic Cancer Society (IGCS)
Member, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of UK (RCOG)
Member, European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO)
Affiliate member, American Association for Cancer Research. (AACR)
Member, Society of Colposcopy & Cervical Pathology of Singapore (SCCPS)
Member, Asia Oceania Research Organisation on Genital Infection and Neoplasia. (AOGIN)
Member, Indian Society of Oncology. (ISO)
Member, Women in Cancer Research. (WICR)
Member, Association of Gynecological Oncologists of India. (AGOI)
Member, Indian Women Scientists Association. (IWSA)
Member, Indian Medical Association. (IMA)
Member, Federation of Obstetric & Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI)
She is also an accomplished colposcopist, who is accredited with The Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology of Singapore (SCCPS). She is also a registered trainer in colposcopy.
Dr. Bhat has received several national and international accolades for outstanding work in the sub-specialty of gynecological oncology, namely:
- Awarded the Avon Foundation-AACR International Scholar-in-Training grant by the American Association for Cancer Research.
Recipient of the IGCS 2014 Travel Grant to attend the International Gynecologic Cancer Society meeting in Melbourne, Australia.
- Awarded the “Young Doctors Summit” of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society in Vancouver, Canada.
- The FIGO/IGCS Gynecologic-Oncology Fellowship for training in gynecological oncology at the Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
- THE IGCS Gynecologic-Oncology Travelling Scholarship with Prof. Marie Plante at the L’Hotel-Dieu de Quebec, Quebec City, Canada
- Award for “BEST POSTER” presentation for paper on “Efficacy Of Raman Spectroscopy In Screening For Ovarian Cancer: A Preliminary Report” presented at the 21st All India Coordinating Committee of Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists conference held at Kolkata, India.
- Award “BEST POSTER” for paper on “The Pap Smear – What You Should Know About It” on Pap Smear Day – Women’s Health Education And Awareness On Cervical Cancer held at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, India.
- Won the FIRST PRIZE in the “Dr Oon Chiew Seng International Oral-Poster Presentation Competition” for paper on “Diagnosis Of Malignancy In Ovarian Tumours – A New Alternative To Frozen Section” presented at 5th Singapore O&G Congress, held at Singapore.
- Award for “BEST POSTER” presentation for paper on “Semen Parameters and Conception Rates after Varicocoelectomy” presented at the International conference of the SAARC Surgical Care Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka.
Dr. Bhat is best known for her expertise in
- Minimally invasive surgery in the treatment of gynecological cancers, including laparoscopy and robot-assisted surgery, the sentinel lymph nodetechnique in endometrial, cervical and vulval cancers.
- Radical trachelectomy – surgeries aimed at preserving fertility in young women suffering from cervical cancer
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) surgery for advanced ovarian cancer
- Minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopi and robot-assisted surgery) for endometriosis, adenomyosis and for fibroid uterus
- High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) treatment for fibroid uterus and adenomyosis. Non-surgical treatment for fibroid.