About Dr. Rani Bhat
Dr. Rani Bhat is one of the best Gynecologist and Oncologists in Bangalore. She is currently the Division Chief and Fellowship Director, Gynecologic Oncology at Apollo Hospital, Bangalore. Dr. Rani Bhat completed her post-graduate training in Obstetrics and Gynecology (MS- Master of Surgery) and qualified for the prestigious membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of UK (MRCOG).
She trained in the sub-specialty of Gynaecological Oncology by undertaking fellowships at the KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital and the National Cancer Centre - Singapore General Hospital. She also undertook a fellowship at the Queen Mary Hospital, the University of Hong Kong where she received further training in Gynecologic Oncology and Robotic Surgery. She received colposcopy training from Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
She is a keen academician where she mentors young gynaecologists wishing to train in gynaecological oncology and has authored several chapters in textbooks of gynaecology and has published extensively on this subject in medical journals.
Her expertise lies in the treatment of cancers of the reproductive tract in women – ovarian, cervical, uterine (endometrial), vulvar and vaginal cancers. She is well known for her skills in advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgery, as well as ultra-radical surgery and HIPEC (Heated Intra-peritoneal chemotherapy). Dr Bhat is also known for her surgical expertise in managing complex non-cancerous conditions such as severe endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic masses, ovarian cysts and fibroids.
Dr Bhat’s approach to patient care is unique, she utilises the latest and effective medical treatment combined with the old fashioned method of concern and respect for patients and their families. She is a strong proponent of evidence-based medicine and ensures that her patients understand their problem, the options available and are fully involved in planning treatment.
According to Dr Bhat, the most gratifying part of her job is the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of women with cancer. She acknowledges that it gives her a great sense of purpose.
Education and Training :
MS (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
Diploma in Gynaecological Operative Endoscopy (France)
Fellowships in Gynaecological Oncology
National Cancer Centre - Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
KK Women’s & Children’s Hospital, Singapore
Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Hotel Dieu de Quebec, Quebec City, Canada
Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Dr. Bhat has received several national and international accolades for outstanding work in the sub-specialty of gynecological oncology:
Recipient of the IGCS 2014 Travel Grant to attend the International Gynecologic Cancer Society meeting in Melbourne, Australia, November 2014.
Awarded a grant to attend the “Young Doctors Summit” of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society in Vancouver, Canada, in October 2012.
The IGCS Gynecologic-Oncology Travelling Scholarship with Prof. Marie Plante at the L’Hotel-Dieu de Quebec, Quebec City, Canada, March 2009.
The FIGO/IGCS Gynecologic-Oncology Fellowship for training in gynecological oncology at the Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, Jun-Aug 2006.
Awarded the “2006 Avon Foundation-AACR International Scholar-in-Training Grant” for a paper on “Photoacoustic Spectroscopic Studies Of Ovarian Tissue In Different Pathological Conditions: Classification Using Cluster Analysis” at the 97th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research held at Washington, DC, April 2006.
Awarded "BEST PRESENTATION" for a poster on “Efficacy Of Raman Spectroscopy In Screening For Ovarian Cancer: A Preliminary Report” presented at the 21st All India Coordinating Committee of Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists conference held at Kolkata, India, March 2006.
Awarded "BEST POSTER" for “The Pap Smear – What You Should Know About It” on Pap Smear Day – Women’s Health Education and Awareness on Cervical Cancer held at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, India, November 2005.
Won the FIRST PRIZE in the “Dr. Oon Chiew Seng International Oral-Poster Presentation Competition” for a paper on “Diagnosis of Malignancy in Ovarian Tumours – A New Alternative to Frozen Section” presented at 5th Singapore O&G Congress, held at Singapore, September 2005.
Award for “BEST POSTER” presentation for a paper on “Semen Parameters and Conception Rates after Varicocoelectomy” presented at the International Conference of the SAARC Surgical Care Society, Kandy, Sri Lanka, in August 2003.
1. Priyadarshini M, Bhat RA. Comparison of Minimally Invasive Surgery Versus Laparotomy for Surgical Staging of Endometrial Carcinoma: A Retrospective Study. Birat Journal of Health Sciences. 2020 Jan-April; 5(1)11:916-920. https://www.nepjol.info/index.php/bjhs/article/view/29613
2. Rekha B Raghavendrachar, Rani A Bhat, Vibhawari Dhakaria. Surgical and survival outcomes with neoadjuvant chemotherapy in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a longitudinal study in a tertiary cancer center. Journal of South Asian Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2020 Jan-Feb; 12(1): 27-30. https://www.jsafog.com/doi/JSAFOG/pdf/10.5005/jp-journals-10006-1751
3. Kulkarni R, Bhat RA, Dhakharia V, Kallur K, Gangoli A. Role of Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography in Preoperative Assessment of Carcinoma Endometrium-a Retrospective Analysis. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2019 Mar; 10(1): 225-231. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30948905
4. Rohini Vinayak Kulkarni, Rani Akhil Bhat, Vibhawari Dhakharia, Jagannath Dixit, Aparna Gangoli and Kunal Sharma. Primary peritoneal carcinosarcoma arising from the secondary Müllerian system: case report and literature review. Southern African Journal of Gynaecological Oncology 2018; 4(1): 1–3. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20742835.2018.1454144?src=recsys
5. Rohini Kulkarni, Rani Bhat, Vibhawari Dhakharia, Aparna Gangoli, Kunal Sharma. Mitotically active cellular fibroma of the ovary: a rare case and review of the literature. Southern African Journal of Gynaecological Oncology 2017; 9(2): 19–21. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20742835.2017.1361644
6. Yasmin Jayasinghe, Rani Bhat, Michael Quinn, C. David Wrede, Jeffrey Tan. Findings and Outcomes in a Prevaccination Cohort of Women Younger Than 25 Years Attending a Tertiary Colposcopy Service. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016 Jul;20(3):224-9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27195779
7. Bhat RA, Lim YK, Chia YN, Yam KL, Lim C, Teo M. Survival Impact of Secondary Cytoreductive Surgery for Recurrent Ovarian Cancer in Asian Population. Oman Med J. 2015 Sep: 30(5): 344-52. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26421115
8. Bhat RA, Teo M, Bhat AK. Endometriosis after Surgical Menopause Mimicking Pelvic Malignancy - A Surgeon's Predicament. Oman Medical Journal (2014) Vol. 29, No. 3:226-231.
9. Bhat RA, Lim YK, Chia YN, Yam KL. Sertoli-Leydig Cell Tumor of the Ovary: Analysis of a Single Institution Database.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2013 Jan;39(1):305-10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22691037
10. Rani Akhil Bhat, Vani Ramkumar, Akhil Krishnanand Bhat, Rajgopal Shenoy. Hemosuccus Pancreaticus: A Rare Cause Of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding During Pregnancy. Oman Medical Journal, Volume 25, Issue 1, January 2010; doi:10.5001/omj.2010.21 http://www.omjournal.org/articleDetails.aspx?coType=2&aId=2242
11. Mamidipudi Srinivasa Vidyasagar, Mahidhar Kodali, Prathima N. Balu, Gunjan Baijal, Bejadi Manjunath Vadhiraja, Rani A. Bhat, Donald Jerard Fernandes, Chilakapati Murali Krishna. Serum Protein Profile Study Of Cervical Cancers In Monitoring Of Tumour Response To Radiotherapy Using HPLC-LIF: A Pilot Study. Medical Laser Application, Volume 24, Issue 3, August 2009; 165-174. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1615161509000854
12. Sudha D Kamath, Rani A. Bhat, Satadru Ray, K.K. Mahato. Autoflourescence of Ovarian Normal, Benign And Malignant Tissues: A Pilot Study. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery. April 2009, 27(2): 325-335. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800945
13. Rani Akhil Bhat, Akhil Krishnanand Bhat, Pralhad Kushtagi, B. H. Anand Rao. Pregnancy Associated Breast Cancer – The Obstetrician’s Role. Journal of the Indian Medical Association. 2008 April; 106 (4) : 246 - 48.
14. Maheedhar K, Bhat RA, Malini R, Prathima NB, Keerthi P, Kushtagi P, Krishna CM. Diagnosis Of Ovarian Cancer By Raman Spectroscopy: A Pilot Study. Photomedicine And Laser Surgery. 2008 Apr;26(2):83-90. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18341416
15. Rain Akhil Bhat, C Murali Krishna, K K Mahato, Pratap Kumar N. Discrimination Of Ovarian Tumours: A Laser Spectroscopy Approach. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal March 2008, Volume 8, Issue 1, P. 115. https://journals.squ.edu.om/index.php/squmj/article/view/1346/1300
16. Rani Akhil Bhat, Akhil Krishnanand Bhat, Pratap Kumar N, Pralhad Kushtagi, Anand Rao BH, Rajgopal Shenoy K. Profile of Non-Obstetric Complications Of Surgical Importance During Pregnancy. Asian Journal of OBS & GYNAE Practice. July-September 2007, Vol. 11, No. 3: 29-38. http://eprints.manipal.edu/76592/
17. Murali Krishna, G. D. Sockalingum, Rani A. Bhat, L. Venteo, Pralhad Kustagi, M Pluot and M Manfait. FTIR And Raman Microspectroscopy Of Normal, Benign, And Malignant Formalin-Fixed Ovarian Tissues. Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry 2007 Mar; 387(5):1649-56. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17043798
18. Rani Akhil Bhat. A Comparative Study Of Extra-Amniotic Instillation of Normal Saline Versus Ethacridine Lactate For Induction of Labour In Antepartum Fetal Death. The Internet Journal of Third World Medicine.2007. Volume 4 Number 1. https://print.ispub.com/api/0/ispub-article/3945
19. Rani Akhil Bhat, Meenakshi Dua, Pratap Kumar N. The Immunology Of Pregnancy. Asian Journal of OBS & GYNAE Practice. January-March 2007, Vol. 11, No. 1: 13-18.
20. Rani Akhil Bhat, Akhil Krishnanand Bhat, B H Anand Rao, Pratap Kumar N. Surgical Causes For Acute Abdomen During Pregnancy. OBS & GYNAE Today. January 2007, Volume XII, Number 1.
21. Rani Akhil Bhat, Pratap Kumar N. Experience With Uterine Leiomyomas At A Teaching Referral Hospital in India. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery Dec 2006, Vol. 22, No. 4: 143-150.
22. R Bhat, D Venkatesh, P Kumar. Influences Of One Elevated Glucose Tolerance Test Value On Pregnancy. The Internet Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2006. Volume 6 Number 1. http://ispub.com/IJGO/6/1/11072
23. Rani Akhil Bhat, Pralhad Kushtagi. Re-Look At The Duration Of Human Pregnancy. Singapore Med J 2006; 47(12): 1044-10448. http://www.smj.org.sg/sites/default/files/4712/4712a4.pdf
24. Rani Akhil Bhat, Pratap Kumar N, Neetha Vyas M: Liver Diseases Complicating Pregnancy. Obs & Gynae Today; 2006 August, Volume XI, No. 8, 437-440.
25. Rani Akhil Bhat: Labour Admission Test: A Screening Tool. Obs & Gynae Today; June 2006, Volume XI, No. 6, 328-331.
26. C. Murali Krishna, N.B. Prathima, R. Malini, B.M. Vadhiraja, Rani A. Bhat, Donald J. Fernandes, Pralhad Kushtagi, M.S. Vidyasagar and V.B. Kartha. Raman Spectroscopy Studies For Diagnosis Of Cancers In Human Uterine Cervix. Vibrational Spectroscopy May 2006 Volume 41, Issue 1, 136-141. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924203106000154
27. S. Singh, R. Martis, Sujatha, R. Bhat, P. Kushtagi, L. Rai, V. Kartha, C. Santhosh. Protein Profile Study Of Clinical Samples Of Ovarian Cancer Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Laser Induced Fluorescence (HPLC-LIF). Proc. SPIE Feb 2006; Vol. 6092, 149-157.
28. Krishna CM, Sockalingum GD, Venteo L, Bhat RA, Kustagi P, Pluot M, Manfait M. Evaluation of the Suitability of Ex-Vivo Handled Ovarian Tissues For Optical Diagnosis By Raman Microspectroscopy. Biopolymers. 2005 Aug Vol. 79, 269–276. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16078191
29. R Bhat, P Kushtagi, A K Bhat. Fetal Sacrococcygeal Teratoma. The Internet Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2005. Volume 4 Number 2. http://ispub.com/IJGO/4/2/7127.
Chapters in Textbooks
Rani Akhil Bhat. A chapter on “Vaginal Cancer: Epidemiology and Risk Factors” in Preventive Oncology for the Gynecologist, Springer, 2019.
Rani Akhil Bhat. A chapter on “Obesity in Pregnancy” Medical Disorders in Pregnancy – An Update (First Edition). Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India, Jaypee, 2006.
Rani Akhil Bhat. Chapter 32 “Postpartum Hemorrhage” Obstetrics and Gynecology for Postgraduates - (Volume I). Edited by Arulkumaran Sabaratnam, Gopalan Sarala & Pratap Kumar. Universities Press, 2009.
Dr. Bhat reviews articles related to obstetrics and gynecology for the International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. (www.academicjournals.org/IJMMS) and the Oman Medical Journal (www.omjournal.org)
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
Member, International Gynecologic Cancer Society (IGCS)
Member, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of UK (RCOG)
Member, European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO)
Affiliate Member, American Association for Cancer Research. (AACR)
Member, The Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology of Singapore (SCCPS)
Member, Asia Oceania Research Organisation on Genital Infection and Neoplasia.
Member, Indian Society of Oncology (ISO )
Member, Women in Cancer Research. (WICR)
Member, Association of Gynecological Oncologists of India. (AGOI)
Member, Indian Women Scientists Association. (IWSA)
Member, Indian Medical Association. (IMA)
Member, Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI)